Monday, June 9, 2014

You Had Me at Comparative Brain Anatomy

   
     Sophie Wasserman (on left)

You had me at comparative brain anatomy...  I must say that in four days of our Earthwatch expedition, I have soaked up more learning, enthusiasm and passion than I would have gleamed from a semester long college course. The expedition is set up in way that allows round the clock learning from a variety of mediums and sources, that keep my brain engaged and open for more.
Sunday night proved to be no different. We had a lovely family style dinner with all of the Earthwatch volunteers and the Think Elephant staff. Here we are at the end of a long day of research, data analysis, science journal reading and with our bellies full. Sophie, one of the RA's apologetically announced her lecture topic for the night: "neuroanatomy comparative analysis of human vs. elephant brains." My heart lept a little, I whipped out my notebook and pen, moved my chair closer and sat with rapt attention.

Name: Sophie Wasserman
From: San Diego, CA
Undergraduate: Hartford College, PA
Degree: Biology and Neuroscience with a concentration in neurological behavioral sciences.
Additional Learning Experiences: Year abroad studying in Australia. Internship  at the Birch Aquarium in San Diego, CA
Q: How did you end up in Thailand working for Think Elephants International?
A: During my senior year, I started to contemplate what I wanted to do next. I knew that I wanted to do something that involved both conservation and education. While looking for work, I saw a position with TEI on the "Animal Behavioral Society's  job postings and contacted Josh. I was interested right away because of my love of animals research, education and conservation.
Q: What were your expectations personally and professionally when you decided to come to Thailand and work for TEI?
A: Professionally, I wanted to figure out what field I liked most, education, conservation or research. What I have found is that I like how closely they all tie together and how much I like using education as a tool for conservation.  
Personally, I wanted to explore the world before getting tied down. My experience studying abroad in Australia helped me see the value in living in a culture different from mine. Daily task were not mundane, and therefore I got to feel alive and alert all the time. I wanted to experience that more in depth, and Thailand has given me that opportunity.
Q: Because you have spent a year in Thailand working with TEI, what unique talents and experiences do you feel you have to offer future employers?
A: Well, I know a ton about elephants. Seriously though, I feel like I have gained a vast amount of people skills through my TEI work, and skills for how to communicate to a huge variety of audiences.
I also feel much more confident in my research skills. I now know the importance in stepping back and looking at my work from a distance so that I always keep going back to the big picture. Once I do that, I can revise the details of how to ask a question in a way that an elephant can understand.
Q: What advice would you give to my students who would like to do something similar?
A: Don't be afraid to reach out to people you find interesting. It might be a professor, a teacher, a guest speaker, or an author. Contact them and speak to them. It might be awkward and they might not want to talk, but the ones you connect with will really help open doors for you.
Also, don't be afraid to take risk. You don't know your limits until you have pushed. And, when you push yourself when you are passionate about something, you will often find you are much more capable than you thought.
Q: What is next?
A: I know now that I love having a job where I feel like I am making a difference. I want to find something that combines my interest in conservation and animals and allows me to be constantly engaging with people around me.

1 comment:

  1. love her advice...reminds me of what Josh Metcalf said...about finding someone who has done your dream...and ask them to help you

    ReplyDelete