Thursday, June 12, 2014

Another Amazing Day and a RA with Really Cool Shoes


              REBECCA SHOER
Today was another outstanding day of getting to run cognition tests on elephants. Fortunately, after testing I had a moment to get to interview another RA. Just in case you are wondering about the presentation order, it is strictly based on who we were able to corner when. So, I managed to have some time before the van picked us up to squeeze in an interview with Rebecca, and I had a few minutes between lunch and behavioral observation to type it up.

Who? Rebecca Shoer
From? Lancaster, Massachusetts
Undergraduate: Williams College
Major: Biology Minor:Neuroscience 
Additional Education: Studied abroad through SIT in Queensland Australia. Field biology, rainforest reef, and cultural ecology.

Q; How did you hear about TEI? And why did you decide to move to Thailand to work with them?
A: When I was completing my honors biology thesis, I worked closely with another student who was very interested in Dr. Plotnick's work with Think Elephants. She had contacted him, and he told her about TEI needing four research assistants. She ended up not wanting to do it, but she told me about it. I called my parents before I applied and they were very supportive. I ended up doing a phone interview first then a skype interview.

Q: What were your personal and professional goals as you signed up as an RA with TEI?
A: I knew I wanted to live abroad again, so that fit with the job. I also wanted to figure out if I wanted a career in science research. I liked the idea of getting to do an animal research project that allowed for interaction between the researcher and the animal (elephants). I also am really passionate about animal conservation. This job literally had everything I was looking for. I also now know that my future work needs to have  a field research component.

Q: How has your work strengthened you as a future employee, researcher and person?
A: I feel that all of the research I have done here has been very valuable, but I feel like I will leave with skills that are much more important even though they are harder to quantify.
For example I am so much better at things like public speaking, thinking on my feet, being flexible, knowing how to cover the same information with a variety of audiences, and not being so stuck on a plan. When I first came to Thailand I found it very hard to find my plans constantly being dismissed or not working. Now that I am more laid back, I feel like I am able to be flexible enough to learn from all sort of situations. I am no longer limited by my plan.
Also, this work has been my first professional experience with collaborative research. I feel like I have gained great experience in how to work professionally in a group and use our discussions or critiques to design and implement the next level of research.

Q: What is next for you?
A: I have decided to stay on for another year because I have more I want to learn. I am going home in a few weeks to the US then back to Thailand for another year. Long term, I will say that I have been surprised at how important the education component of our work is. I am learning a lot from living in a place like Thailand and seeing locals who are very aware of the importance of elephants, yet their daily struggles end up being more important. Ideally, I will be able to work in the field of conservation that also strongly looks at local human rights and economic stability of the surrounding human communities. I see now how there needs to be local education, ownership and empowerment for real conservation to occur. If I can find work that combines all of this, it would be great.

Q: What advice would you give to my students?
A: Ignore all of the road maps laid out for you by others. It is really not about your AP scores or SAT scores. The really cool opportunities are not going to be in the typical places. Sure, job fairs are good for practice interviews, but really if you find someone's work interesting, go ahead and contact them personally. The worst that can happen is they don't return your e-mail, and the best ...they could offer you a job working in Thailand with elephants.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE her answer to the last question you asked her!

    ReplyDelete