Sunday, June 8, 2014

Confessions of a Habitual Learner

As I mentioned in our previous posts, the quality of minds we are surrounded by on this expedition is outstanding. It is such a joy to participate in discussions, listen to presentations and conduct experiments with a group of people who are intensely motivated to be actively engaged with the world around them. 

This evening prior to dinner, I managed to get some time to interview one of the Earthwatch volunteers. Here are my notes:

Name: Pat McKay
Home: Melbourne, Australia
Occupation: Retired elementary school teacher and librarian 
Current Work: Part time foreign exchange student coordinator 
Interesting Fact: This is Pat's 18th Earthwatch Expedition. 

Q:  What led you to start participating in Earthwatch programs?
A:  In 1993, I did a teacher exchange program and I taught in Arizonia for a year. While there, I met a Navajo archeologist and became very interested in learning more about South Western anthropology. When I returned to Austraila, I began searching for opportunities to participate in archeogy digs and I came across Earthwatch. 
 
Q: Why did you choose to come on the "Thinking Like an Elephant" expedition?
A: First because I love elephants, and I have found myself fascinated by the Asian Elephants at the Melbourne Zoo so I was excited about the opportunity to study them through Earthwatch. I was also wanting an excuse to spend time in Asia and I liked that this one was reasonably close to home.
Q: When you look back at how you have grown as a person, how has service learning Eco-tourism impacted your perception of the world?
A: I have always been a passionate person, and I loved to travel. Prior to going on Earthwatch Expeditions, I was more of a voyager and a passive observer of the world around me.
After my first expedition, I found myself altering the way I taught my students. I was more "real". I had the confidence to scrap the boxed science curriculum and my science classes became much more practical. I no longer poured information into kids heads but instead, I was confident enough to let my students experiment and explore.
One of my favorite teacher memories was of a student who was a very reluctant learner. He was always into trouble and really did not want to do his work. I taught him for two years in a row, and at the start of our second year together I shared my summer archeology experience with my students. Fast forward 14 years, and this student invited me to his 21st birthday party. When I got there, I learned that he had become an archeologist. He told me how listening to my stories about the Earthwatch expedition had made him realize that he better learn how to read and do math, so he could grow up and do that kind of cool work.
Q: What is your most memorable experience from an Earthwatch expedition?
A: I was in Uganda doing behavioral observations of chimpanzees. I was intensely watching a pair of chimps grooming and recording data. Another researcher began trying to get my attention. "Pat, look to your left and right." When I did, there were two chimps looking over my shoulders watching me watching the other chimps.
Q: What advice would you like to share with my students?
A: You have got to be a risk taker. Be willing to go with the flow when plans don't work out exactly like you planned. You don't need to wait to get involved until you have all of the skills, you just need to be willing to learn as you go. Be willing to be uncomfortable. Celebrate all of your experiences and be prepared to share your newfound knowledge.
Q: What is next?
A: I am doing two more Earthwatch programs this year. I will be researching climate change in the Hudson Bay Area of Canada and an archeology project in Colorado.

1 comment:

  1. You all are like Pat...no boxed science curriculum at HTMS:)...

    ReplyDelete