Friday, June 13, 2014

What Do Pianos and Elephants Have in Common?



I had the opportunity to sit down with Deborah Aitken this afternoon to learn more about her life. She has many diverse loves that you will see as you read her interview below. 

Name- Deborah Aitken
Home - Redondo Beach, California 
Education- Studied at USC, Cal State, Northridge, and in Paris where she studied under a protégée of 
Marguerite Marie-Charlotte Long, French pianist and teacher. 
Occupation- Classical pianist which encompasses both performance and education.  She likens her performances to preparing a gourmet meal. As the different tastes set each other off, so do each of her pieces with dessert serving as the encore. 

Q- Is this your first Earthwatch expedition?
A- No, this is my second expedition. The first was in Kenya studying the black rhinos. However, this was just a way for me to get close to my real love - elephants!

Q- Why did you choose Thinking Like an Elephant in Thailand?
A- Again, this was another way for me to be close to the elephants. I wanted to get a glimpse into their minds and actually touch them this time. In Africa, I knew if I touched an elephant, it would be killing me due to their natural wildness and aggression. 

Q- Would you consider yourself an animal lover?
A- Most definitely!  It I weren't a classical pianist, I would be a Jane Goodall type person. I've always loved animals even as a small child. My family would always say that I had a way with animals. For instance, I could be as close as we are seated from each other to a deer and follow it into the woods. I have a healthy respect for animals but no fear. I totally believe that a person can communicate with animals. 

Q- How has this trip changed your perspective on life?
A- The obvious answer is that the Thai people are wonderful and the country is beautiful. I've enjoyed my team members and have fallen even more in love with elephants. I'm not surprised at all about the evidence supporting elephants having great cognitive ability. Also, on a darker note, this trip has underscored my sadness about man's stupidity as it relates to conservation. 

Q- What's next?
A- I really want to study mountain gorillas, orangutans and chimps.  I'm even considering moving to South Africa. 

Q- What advice would you like to pass along to our 7th grade students?
A- Follow your bliss and whatever it is, don't put it off. You need to conquer your fears and make your own path.  Also, I feel strongly about telling your students that you shouldn't believe people who say there is no evidence for climate change. If a species goes away there is a reason for it. I would encourage your students to vote, read newspapers and even read peoples' opinions who you don't agree with in order to understand fully what you do believe. People all over the world are wonderful and in my opinion it's the governments around the world that cause us to have the problems with conservation that we have today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment