Friday, June 13, 2014

The Touchy-Feely Side of Elephants

Reading the profiles of the Earth-watchers, Thais and Think Elephant staff, it might be easy to think that only one kind of person out there would find a service learning science research expedition to be their ideal vacation. Yet, the next profile goes to show that a woman with loads of compassion for animals and a sense of adventure is a fantastic match for this expedition.

Who? Cheryle DeLandre (married to Stuart who we featured earlier)
From? Winding, Australia (2 hours south of Sydney along the coast)
Occupation: Sales manager and trainer for Michael Hill Jewelers
Q: How did you first learn about Earthwatch?
A: Stuart, my husband, participated in a couple of other Earthwatch programs, so I knew about Earthwatch through his experiences.
Q: Why did you decide to participate in the Thinking Like an Elephant expedition?
A: We both have always said we wanted to get to do a lot more volunteering when we retired. I knew I wanted to do something involved with animals and Stuart knew he wanted to do something with kids. When we got the Earthwatch Catalog and saw that this program combined both animals and education, we knew it was going to work.

Q: Now that you are coming to the end of your first service learning vacation, how do you feel that this experience has shaped you and your view of the world?
A: I now have a new knowledge of Asian elephants and how important they are to their ecosystem. Back home I assumed that they were safe and had plenty of space to live in. I now have a lot of respect for elephants, their Mahouts, and the community of Earthwatch Volunteers. It has made my heart full to be part of it all. I really want to give more to this cause and find new ways to help these elephants and other species.

I am new to scientific research, but it is clear to me the importance of all parts of the work Think Elephants is doing with research, education and concervation.

Q: What advice would you give to those considering doing a similar expedition or service learning?
A: I have gotten so much out of this experience. I would say that you should just start with something small that you are passionate about. Once you start, if you are like me, you won't be able to stop. I am already starting to look for the next program I can get involved with as well as how I can share what I have learned with others.

I have gotten to see such beauty in the human-animal connections here and the stories of the mahouts and their elephants, and the personal stories of each of the elephants. I say, go out there to see that, and then share it.

Q: What do you plan on doing next?
A: I have already started organizing a presentation for my company. We are an international company and I can't wait to tell the story and hardship of the Asian Elephants.
We have also started to think about the next Earthwatch expedition we would like to do. Right now we are thinking about doing something in Afrca.

No comments:

Post a Comment