Saturday, May 31, 2014

Less than 24 hours!

Connie is now home from the beach and furiously unpacking then repacking for the trip of our lives! I am in shock that this dream is coming true.  There have been so many obstacles along the way over the last few months, and I am now realizing they have been test.  Because we are grown ups, we don't get a grade, we get an expedition because we passed the test of life, trials, and persevered through the red tape, grant applications, medical preparations, and a coup. 

Take for instance my day on Thursday.  We live in Jefferson County, AL.  If you are up on political economic news, then you might know this as the largest county bankruptcy (I think LA might have us beat)  As a result our county court house operates on a shoe string budget, thus making mildly annoying task like getting a new title for a car, a monumental ordeal.  My father has recently lost his sight and thus I acquired his mini-van, an exciting gift, but at the cost of a trip to the DMV.  I had to wait until school was out because the average wait time is four hours but I also had to do this before going to Thailand.  Thursday was the day slated for the endeavor. 

I got up early and made it downtown by 8:10 and I was in a line 150 people deep by 8:15.  Then at 8:30 a man's voice booms over the loud speaker "May I have your attention?  May I have your attention?  There has been a bomb threat called into the courthouse and you must evacuate to the nearest exit immediately."  Everyone in line looks at each other thinking this has got to be a trick to get us out of line so someone else can come to the front.  But no, it really was  bomb threat.  They did empty the building.  They did send in a swat team, police dogs, and more police.  Two hours later they let us back in, and I managed to get my title and tag in just under four hours.  Upon leaving, I even got to pay $9 to park because I had to pay a penalty of $5 for "staying in the lot too long."  Seriously! 

Why am I telling you this, you may wonder...  We have been warned about going to Thailand because there is a coup and martial law.  Well I must say that I think I will take my chances given my blasé trip to the DMV, and I am pretty sure it will make for a much better story. I have lived in Guatemala ,Belize and Kazakhstan, and I know that they way we operate as Americans with our schedules, agendas and plans are regional norms, but not that of the world.  I know it takes me  while to let that go, but in hind sight, going to the DMV was a great Segway into the wide world.  I am ready to leave that stuff behind for a bit, and see where learning takes us. 

Oh, but I did just print my boarding pass from Atlanta to Denver, because when it comes to air travel, I still like a schedule and a plan:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment