Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ready to be excited for real, Seriously!

This spring had been crazy.  It just has, and there is no need to go into much detail on this blog, but I am going to ask all 23 of our loyal readers (so far) to just trust me when I say it has been nuts.  During the middle of all of the craziness is when we got word that Fund for Teachers accepted our proposal and that we were going to be teaching fellows in Thailand. 

This was huge news during normal times, but really, this was ginormous news given the rest of the season.  It has become this mantra of "oh well, that was rough, but did you know we are going to Thailand this summer..."  It has been an outstanding beacon, light at the end of the tunnel, and a diversion of the regular scheduled chaos of my life (this is Karon here, I am pretty sure Connie has it much more together despite the chaos I drag her into.) 

Today, it started to really sink in.  We are going to Thailand.  Yes, when my kids sing "Do you want to build a snowman?"  I retort with my own parody of "Do you want to go to Thailand?"  And well yes, I do, and I want to be excited about it, and sure of it, because, well, I need to be sure of something, and I was kind of banking on a this to be the big deal.  If all goes well for the next four days it will. 

But, and this was probably just formality, but, Earthwatch called today just to "check in with participants about their questions and concerns about the situation in Thailand so they could make a decision about whether to cancel the expedition or not."  I said my opinion on the matter that went something like "I have a high threshold for civil unrest" while shouting at my children to put down their swords while I was on the phone, to, "Why would I cancel a trip to Seattle just because there is chaos in D.C.? "  Regardless, I am just one team member, and we will learn more tomorrow from them. 

I wrote yesterday about unintentional learning and I am seeing a theme.  I need to learn about trust.  Yes, there I said it, but that is hard for this scientist and I have run the probability of problems arising for our tourist during a Thai coup (which there are 19 to reference) and I think I have a higher probability of problems arising in Alabama on a "normal" day.  So there is good data to trust, but now I need to trust that this will happen the right way I the right time.  Preferably my planed itinerary.

So for now, I still have a 1/2 packed suitcase and am anxious about the trip rather than excited at this time.  I guess this is where I will need to read more Mya Angelo poems to get me through until more news tomorrow.  Any by news, I really don't care that Taylor Swift canceled her Bangkok show.  Just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment