Friday, April 4, 2014

Wake up Call

One Christmas I was visiting my parents, and I remember opening the cupboard to help set the table, and seeing 12 different index cards with contact information for me that my mom had taped down to keep up with me over the past year.  I was a drifter to say the least.  Now, not so much. I have things like a mortgage, a minivan, gardens, orchards, a teaching career and two children.  Drifting is much more complicated.

Despite all the things that have led me to this phase of "responsible middle age lifestyle" I find myself frequently with itchy feet and wanting to see something totally new, and step out of my routine survival mode of life. I know that moving right now is not an option, or big expensive vacations, or selling everything and living out of my car would be a lot less fun with two seven year old boys, but I still find myself longing for an adventure to recharge me.  

Last summer  I attended a local middle school summit, and I gained a fair amount, but the one thing that really stuck with me was a very pregnant teacher talking about how several teachers from her school were going to the Galapagos in a few weeks to learn. She had my attention at "Galapagos."  This is the moment I learned about Fund for Teachers.  

When I returned to school in the fall, I decided to look up the details of the program.  I knew that writing a grant for some sort of science learning expedition, was just the cure I needed for the restlessness I usually feel once I am confined to my four walled classroom.  Then, I took the bold step of suckering my fellow science teachers into applying for a team grant.  Only one was able to jump on the drifter train with me, and she quite honestly thought it was a joke.  I think her words were "I am signing on to the grant because it will be good therapy for Karon."   

To make a long story short, this same teacher called me yesterday at 5am.  My initial thought someone has died.  Instead, she was calling me to tell me "Karon!  Are you ready to go to Thailand!"  

See, unlike me, she is the grounded responsible one, who gets her work e-mails on her phone.  Good thing I will have someone with me to make sure I get back on the return flight home.  

So, here it is, my new blog, for a new phase.  A phase of learning, exploring, questioning...Oh, and doing it by studying elephants in Thailand just to keep things interesting.

Here is the exerpt from our acceptance letter:

Congratulations! Fund for Teachers is pleased to recognize you as 2014 Fellow and award you $5000 to: Investigate the condition of endangered elephants in Thailand using modern field research practices to develop an ecology unit focusing on methodology, inquiry and advocacy for science-based conservation initiatives.  From thousands of applications from across the country, your proposal stood out as one that will bring relevant knowledge and skills back to your students.

You now join a peer group of 6,000 other preK-12 educators who refused to settle for traditional professional development or the status quo in their classroom. After navigating the globe conducting field research, attending seminars, volunteering with community organizations or observing best practices, our Fellows inspire school communities with authentic learning.
Please mark your calendar for Saturday, April 12th from 10am to 1 pm at Alabama Public Television in Birmingham to attend a mandatory orientation.  Details on the meeting will follow by email.

We look forward to meeting you and watching how you impact student achievement through your odyssey this summer.


Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment