Saturday, April 12, 2014

I'm the Grounded, Responsible One!

I never thought it would actually happen!  When my colleague, Karon, approached me with the idea of applying for a grant to study elephants in Thailand I said yes without giving it much thought. Remember, if I haven't mentioned this before......I didn't believe it would ever come to pass!  Today, we joined an elite group of teachers from around the state to become 2014 Fund for Teachers Fellows!  To say I have become a believer is an understatement!  FFT has given us an unbelievable opportunity to learn and grow in an environment that is completely outside of my comfort zone!  I have been a science educator for 20 years and have a passion for teaching middle school students. Karon was correct in saying I am the grounded, responsible one. Karon is the nomad who has a very colorful background set in all kinds of exotic places.  She has entertained us in the hall for years with zany stories of her travels around the world between class changes. On the flip side, I have taught middle school science in three different schools in the same state I was born in.  My husband and I were blessed to travel to Russia 15 years ago to adopt our son, but this is my only claim to the exotic!  I am the mom to a wonderful 20 year old daughter as well as our adventurous 15 year old son with a minivan and a mortgage. To be able to experience this awesome opportunity now in my career is mind-blowing!  All of a sudden my world has expanded! I'm now looking at flights to Bangkok, purchasing field gear and reading Lonely Planet Thailand!  To say I am thankful for my colleague for pushing me out of my steady, responsible comfort zone is also an understatement!  Thanks, my friend!  And yes, just for the record, I will be the one keeping up with all of our receipts and getting us on the plane home!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear of your adventures. What an opportunity!

    ReplyDelete